This printable and digital, standards-based How To Writing Unit resource includes everything you need to give your students practice with procedural writing. This how-to writing resource makes a perfect whole-class writing activity, small group writing activity, literacy center, homework assignment, or as a meaningful writing activity for a substitute teacher.
Designed for kindergarten, first and second-grade students, this writing unit includes suggested mentor texts and online resources for teaching this genre, academic vocabulary posters for procedural writing, a mini-lesson and seasonal how-to writing prompts.
Each writing prompt includes a story-specific, picture-supported vocabulary word bank. The procedural writing graphic organizer provides students with structure and support for outlining their writing. Students will edit their writing using the self-editing checklists. You’ll also receive special publishing paper for each writing prompt if you want students to create a final draft.
- Unpacking the standard & notes for the teacher
- Suggested mentor text & Online resources for teaching procedural writing
- Mini-Lesson for How-to writing
- Academic vocabulary teaching posters
- Graphic Organizer with self-editing checklist
- Publishing Paper- primary lined
- 16 How-to writing prompts –Print and Digital Google Slides
- Digital Images to upload to Seesaw if you wish
- How to Carve a Pumpkin
- How to Rake Leaves
- How to Make Applesauce
- How to Make Apple Pie
- How to Make a Gingerbread Man
- How to Build a Snowman
- How to Make Snow Cream
- How to Dress for Winter Weather
- How to Fly a Kite
- How to Grow a Plant
- How to Dress for Rain
- How to Make a Pizza
- How to Build a Sandcastle
- How to Make Lemonade
- How to Make a Banana Split
- How to Catch a Fish
Here is what teachers are saying about this Procedural Writing Resource:
“This resource helped my students with how-to-writing by breaking down each step. It was scaffolded very well for students to independently write after modeling!”
“I love this unit! No more hunting down writing topics. This unit is very well put together with anchor charts and lesson topics.”
There are no reviews yet.