This 2nd grade dictation practice resource is aligned with the Science of Reading and includes 29 weeks of dictation activities that follow my research-based Scope and Sequence.
Dictation is guided spelling practice. It is a systematic way for you to connect the skills you teach in reading to student writing. Dictation practice offers students an engaging way to accelerate their writing and spelling skills, with your guidance and corrective feedback to support them. Dictation activities should be fairly quick and completed at least twice per week as a way for teachers to model how to use new phonics skills in writing.
This resource of 29 weeks of dictation practice activities. Each week includes 2 teacher guides that highlight the week’s focus skill. Review of previously learned phonics skills is also built into each week. In addition, students get practice with heart words (irregularly spelled high-frequency words) in the sentence portion.
A lesson outline for teacher guidance and a sample lesson are also included. There are 2 versions of student dictation recording sheets. Dictation lessons will increase in difficulty as the year progresses.
Included in this resource:
- 5 page Lesson Outline & Sample Lesson for teacher reference
- 58 Dictation Teacher Guides (2 per phonics skill)
- 2 options for differentiated Student Recording Sheets
Phonics Skills Included:
- CVC short vowel
- closed syllables, closed & consonant + le syllables
- blends: l, r, s, blends, final blends
- open syllables, open & consonant + le syllables
- digraphs: sh, ch, tch, th, wh, _ng, ph
- final e: a_e, o_e, i_e, u_e, e_e
- final e syllables
- Vowel teams: long a (a, ai, ay), long e (e, ee, ea, y, ey, ie, ei), long o (o, oa, ow, oe), long i (i, igh, y, ie), long u (u, ew, ue)
- vowel team syllables
- r-controlled vowels: r-controlled ar, r-controlled er, ir, ur, r-controlled or, ore
- r-controlled syllables, r-controlled & consonant + le syllables
- variant vowels & diphthongs: variant vowel short oo, variant vowel long oo, diphthong ou, ow, diphthong oi, oy
- complex vowel /aw/ (au, aw, alk, alt, all)
- vowel team syllables: diphthongs & variant vowels
- review six syllable types
- other final stable syllables: -ture, -sure, -ion, -tion, -sion