These differentiated blends & digraphs decodable sentence building activities give kindergarten, first and second grade students practice reading and writing words that contain targeted phonics skills. This resource is the perfect extension activity to use with my Decodable Passages bundle and can be used for student review, independent work, or as a literacy center!
Each sentence is a phonics-based controlled text sentence that contains target phonics skill words, previously taught phonics skill words and irregular high-frequency words. The science of reading shows us that the connection between what our students learn in phonics and what they read & write is imperative for building a strong foundation in early reading!
After building each sentence with word cards, students write the sentence on their printable. They then use the student self-check to edit for accuracy. Students will also have the opportunity to practice their reading fluency by reading to themselves or a friend.
This resource contains the following options in order for the teacher to easily differentiate based on student needs:
- 2 versions of each printable recording sheet: One version has a sentence stem that requires the student to fill in the blank with a target phonics skill word. The other version does not have a sentence stem and instead requires the student to write the entire sentence.
- 2 versions of sentence building word cards: Large word cards are perfect to pair with a pocket chart and small cards can be used at a small group table or student desk.
Included in this resource: ***See Preview File***
- master sentences list for the teacher
- 69 phonics-based controlled sentences
- 23 recording sheets (2 differentiated versions of each for a total of 46)
- 69 sets of sentence building word cards (2 differentiated versions of each)
- teacher tips for use
- 69 digital sentence building Google Slides
- PNG backgrounds included for Seesaw (this is NOT a premade Seesaw activity)
Phonics skills included:
- L blends
- S blends
- R blends
- Final m/n blends
- Final l blends
- Final s blends
- Final t blends
- Three letter blends